Thursday, August 9, 2012

Eow.... God, I Miss Him

 I also took advantage of his weakened state to give him a much needed bath. Poor guy. He just kept looking at me and meowing real low and pitiful as if to say, "Unfair, woman. So not cool." :P But it needed done. He smells stinky and can't clean himself, so someone's gotta do it! My poor baby. I broke down really bad in church yesterday. I know some would say "good thing it's just a pet." But, really, he's so much more to my heart. And my poor heart is just breaking seeing my sweet, cuddly baby like this. He's on meds for toxoplasmosis, as that's the only thing....

The above was written just a few days ago.  At the time, I was thinking maybe I shouldn't bother with a bath right now.  Maybe I should just leave him be so he can rest.  And now I am so glad that I spent that time with him.  That I took the time to bathe his body and snuggle with him after.  That I took that extra time out of my day to sit and love on my mow-mow.  Because he is gone now.  He just never got better.  The vet said he should've responded to the medicine days ago.  That he should already be back to his normal self.  Oh God! how I miss his normal self!  We took him yesterday to the vet to make the final determination as to whether more medical intervention was right or if it was time to say good-bye.  The evening before, Eow's breathing became labored.  His adorable little tongue was barely visible in between his lips.  But his eyes... Oh my God, his eyes.  They stare at me.  They bore into my soul.  It is my Eow, still alive and well inside this now worthless shell of a body.  I can see him asking me.  But asking what?  Normally his body language would assist.  He would meow in some way to let me know what he's thinking.  But, no.  This body refuses to cooperate.  Refuses to get well again.  And why?  Why???  I now believe, wholeheartedly, that it is better to know why.  And I do not.  And it torments me.  Was it something I unwittingly did?  Was it something we could have prevented?  Were there earlier warning signs that I didn't notice as we were hustling to move off-base and into our dream house?  Did I neglect my poor kitty cat?  Am I partially to blame???  This is what causes the tears to flow.  That and the horrid knowledge that I will never see my kitty again.  That I will never hold him or pet him or love on him again.  He will never ride on my shoulder, his weight making it difficult to complete my tasks but his happy purring making it worthwhile.  His beautiful, bright, green eyes will never again look into mine with that all-knowing spark that cats seem to have.  I didn't have to open my daughter's door this morning to let him out.  He had to sleep in her room as she sleeps like a rock.  And I don't.  So I will never hear him calling out from behind that door to let him out.  He'll never rub his adorable lion face into my hair or try to play with it when it is down.  I won't be tripping over him in the kitchen as he tries to race me to his food bowl.  I'll never see him hunkered down over that same bowl again, scarfing down his food.  Or come home and have him try to jump onto my shoulder, purring loudly, greeting me as though I'd been gone forever.  He is gone.  And my heart... is shattered.  My Eow is gone.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Deedee,
    Once again, I am so sorry. You had such a good friend, and you each knew and loved each other so well, and spent your days together.

    Kidney disease took my Zip Zip and Inkspot from me a few years ago, and again, it was heartbreaking. Zip Zip was in such pain that she folded into herself, after a lifetime of being on or right close to me. Inkspot began to sleep right up close to my head, and needed to be touching someone all of the time. They had lots of vet trips, but at the end there was little to be done: they were very elderly, but still, my husband and I ask ourselves, did we do the right things? Did we miss something? Did they suffer too much? Were we selfish?

    Your agony, and the agony of all who have lost someone dear, share these doubts and questions and images, and those are things that you carry with you always, and, you hope and pray, help teach you compassion, for loss and change are inherent in our life down here.

    I am glad there are husband and children and kittens and chicks and horses to hug!

    Hugs and empathy,

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie,

      Thank you so very much for commenting and understanding my pain. It is hard not knowing exactly what it was that took the life of such a dear friend. All of his tests came back normal. And that is the frustrating part. There were no warning signs that I can recall and that maddens me, too. For Eow and I did know each other very well. We knew when the other was feeling down or happy, sick or well. So how on earth did I miss this? How did I not see it coming? It will indeed haunt me the rest of my days. There is nothing I can do now but I continue to wonder... Was there something I could have done then? I just miss him so much. It's only been one day but feels like an agonizing eternity....
      Thank you again for empathizing. It makes it a little easier to bear knowing I'm not carrying this weight alone.

      Deedee

      Delete